Monday 9 September 2013

Individual Ideas



Possible songs and ideas

I would personally prefer to create a music video to a song of the Indie genre because it is my favoured genre to listen to personally and I believe it offers versatility and opportunities to break conventions of traditional videos. Below are a few ideas I have so far:

Nina Nesbitt- Noserings & Shoestrings: the beauty of youth, young love, misguided teenagers, alcohol abuse, making the most out of/wasting adolesense

From what I can gather from the lyrics, Noserings & Shoestrings follows the narrative of the artists personal experiences, in particular about her relationship with someone whilst at University. 


She describes him in the first verse: "Ruffled hair, a lose shoestring. Covered arms and a nose ring. He's just misguided I think" A panning shot would be necessary showing his exterior attributes that she choses to sing about.  If I were to chose this song to create a video for, I'd like the lyrics and visuals to be parallel therefore when the artist sings: "Hangs about at the skate-parks. With his lighter and his pack of cards. And he's going nowhere" I'd like a shot of a guy at a skate park smoking on his own shuffling cards and attempting to make 'card houses' but they are blown around in the wind. I'd then like a shot of the cards dancing along the grass and whirling in the wind in the sky which could symbolise the pairs unstable relationship and his relationship with alcohol. 

Something which is not evident in the lyrics is an idea I'd like to propose: the narrative would follow the artists boyfriend who is older than her and has an alchohol problem which possibly supports the lyrics: "He's going nowhere" and "And he says 'like fast and die young. Forget the past and move on. You only live once'" There would be many shots of the artists boyfriend playing guitar in isolated settings and writing songs on scrap pieces of paper to follow conventions of Indie music videos. I would also include shots of him drinking and smoking, possibly an out of focus shot as he approaches his girlfriends door and when she opens it, she slams it in his face to show she is no longer there to support him after giving him many chances in their relationship. I would like to purchase a cheap guitar for her boyfriend to play and throughout the video show shots of him engraving their names and the song title on it too. 

One shot I am really passionate about attempting is a time lapse of the artist and her boyfriend arguing in slow motion but with the world continuing around them fast paced with a time lapse. This shot would convey the idea that despite the rest of the world still spinning, they are in their own world when they are together. 



For the performance element, I would like shots of the artist dressed in vintage clothes to echo the genre characteristics being Indie. A specific outfit I have in mind is a floral dress with tights, brogues, a large denim jacket and a beanie hat (but there will be a change of outfit for each separate location she performs in to follow conventions of a music video where artists wear various outfits) I would have the artist have a guitar case on her back with a single red balloon tied to it to be released at the end where it would fade away. The red balloon would be symbolic of the pairs relationship due to the connotations of red being love and lust yet also meaning his aggression when he is drunk. The idea that it is released at the end means that their love will never end as it is still flying away in the air but represents their relationship. 



The relationship built between the audience and the artist would be heavily focused upon the audiences sympathy for her struggling in her relationship. I would also like the audience to aspire to be like the artist in regards to the clothes she wears and the fact that there will be many close-up shots of her playing guitar may also persuade the audience to play as a hobby or may make them aspire to play professionally. 


Locations for this video for the artists boyfriend would include a skatepark and secluded area to drink, play cards and write lyrics as I want to portray him to be a hopeless romantic type character but hardened by his struggle with prioritising alcohol. The artist however will be shown performing in a park by a lake, busking in London (Camden lock/Covent Garden) and possibly on an open top bus also in London which could convey her commuting to University each morning. 


I think this video would entice a young, modern audience who enjoy simplistic acoustic music of the Indie genre. The lyrics to this song are very honest which is even more enticing for the audience I would like to target. Many young females can relate to a broken relationship which involves misunderstandings and problems you are unable to overcome, therefore it is a poignant choice. 


To echo Goodwins theory, my video to Noserings & Shoestrings would be divided between 60% performance and 40% narrative. No concept would be present or necessary. 

"Keep calm and carry on he's drunk all night long. He'll sit with his guitar and play another song. Then he'll give me a phone. Another 5am call sitting worried in my hall. Will he come tonight before it gets light? Well I guess he might" 

WANT TO ADD MORE DETAIL AS THIS IS MY GROUPS CHOSEN SONG

Kate Nash- Mouthwash: personal qualities, uniqueness, self-empowerment

I believe this song is unique yet, simultaneously, has a universal appeal. The lyrics depict a narrative of the artists features, some of which are insecurities and others factors she feels she cannot control. The artist on the other hand is also appealing to the listener as she is easy to relate to through her believable lyrics which proves she is a normal human being, not a self-absorbed celebrity. 



When I first heard this song I thought it represented the artist powerfully as she enables the audience an insight into her personal thoughts and experiences. Then, I watched the video to be surprised that it was mainly focused on a performance style which disappointed me as I expected it to be mainly focused upon narrative with a small hint of concept.

An idea I have for this particular song for a video is based around the concept of a dating website. The artist creates a profile on an online dating website, hoping to meet someone so that she is no longer alone "singin' at home on a Friday night" She lists some features "This is my face. Covered in freckles with the occasional spot and some veins" along with a few photos of herself. She then attempts to share her "mind" and "brain" on her profile, but it doesn't give a real outline of who she really is "And this is my mind. It goes over and over the same old lines. And this is my brain. It's torturous. Analytical thoughts make me go insane" She then recieves a message from someone wanting to meet her after seeing her profile. We as the audience see various disatrous and humorous dates with various men, or possibly a shot of the artist sat at the table of a resturant with only the back of her date showing so only a change of jacket would be neccessary to illustrate the different dates. 

The final verse of this song is "I've got nostalgic pavements. I've got familiar faces. And I've got mixed up memories. And I've got favorite places" The audience would then witness the artist finally content with someone, therefore taking them to her favourite place where a panning shot would be used to show the environment (a quiet park bench/a London landmark etc) and a final close up shot of the artist happy. A back shot of the pair together would be appropriate showing her head resting on his shoulders. 

Below are a few other songs I would be interested in using:

Female artists


Lily Allen- 22
Lily Allen- LDN 
Lily Allen- Fuck You
Lily Allen- Smile 
Nina Nesbitt- Stay Out
Nina Nesbitt- Boy 
Laura Marling- New Romantic



Male artists/bands 

The Killers- Human
The Killers- Mr Brightside 
Coldplay- Viva La Vida 
Ed Sheeran- One Night 
Ed Sheeran- Let It Out  
Noah And The Whale- L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
Noah And The Whale- Waiting For My Chance To Come
Noah And The Whale- 5 Years Time 
Stereophonics- Indian Summer
Stereophonics- Dakota 

1 comment:

  1. You have made a start in considering your choices and decisions for your music video and have considered a variety of ideas. Now aim to explain what you have decided to use and why?

    ReplyDelete